This simple, fresh lunch is great for kids – get them involved in the prep and you’re sure to have clean plates all round.
SERVES : 6
COOKS IN : 1 HOUR
DIFFICULTY : SUPER EASY
6 medium carrots
a bunch of fresh coriander
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
6 wholemeal pittas
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
If you’re bored of sandwiches, then these stuffed pittas are the best alternative. They’re perfect for packed lunches and there’s no excuse for them not to be delicious – give these a go, then experiment with your own favourite flavour combinations.
1. Preheat the oven to 130°C/250°F /gas ½.
2. Use a Y-shaped peeler to peel the carrots on a chopping board.
3. Pick the coriander leaves and finely chop them, discarding the stalks.
4. Place a small non-stick frying pan on a medium heat, add the seeds and leave them to toast for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly golden, tossing regularly, then tip them into a salad bowl.
5. Coarsely grate the carrots using a box grater, then add them to the salad bowl along with the coriander leaves.
6. Pop the pittas onto a baking tray and into the oven for a few minutes to warm through.
7. To make the dressing, use a microplane to finely grate the zest of the orange, then add it to a small mixing bowl.
8. Cut the orange in half and squeeze in the juice, catching any pips with your hand.
9. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze in the juice from 1½ lemons, then add 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
10. Add a tiny pinch of salt and pepper, then mix well with a fork.
11. Pour the dressing into the salad bowl and toss everything together well, adding a squeeze more lemon juice if you think it needs it.
12. Use oven gloves to remove the pittas from the oven, then serve with the zingy salad and some homemade houmous and let everyone stuff and build their own pittas.
TIP: If you want to turn this salad into more of a main meal, try adding some thinly sliced orange, a few slices of grilled chicken, or a little feta or goat’s cheese crumbled over the top.