- 3 Tbsp soy sauce, then more if desired
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sriracha, plus more for serving (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, halved then thinly sliced into strips from root to tip
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced into thin 2-inch strips
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups packed shredded cabbage (16 oz)*
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together 1 Tbsp of the soy sauce with cornstarch until well blended. Mix in remaining 2 Tbsp soy sauce, chicken broth, sesame oil, brown sugar and sriracha, set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch (deep) non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the ginger and half of the garlic and saute 20 seconds. Add turkey and season with just a pinch of salt. Cook, while breaking up turkey and tossing occasionally, until turkey has cooked through. Drain and transfer turkey to a sheet of foil, wrap to keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until they have nearly softened, about 4 minutes. Add in bell pepper and remaining half of the ginger and garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Toss in cabbage and carrots then whisk soy sauce mixture once more and pour over cabbage. Allow to cook, tossing frequently until cabbage is tender, about 4 – 5 minutes. Toss in cooked turkey. Taste and add in a little more soy sauce if needed. Serve warm topped with green onions and more sriracha if desired.
- *Instead of chopping the cabbage yourself you could replace the shredded cabbage and matchstick carrots with equal amounts of coleslaw mix.