Heart Healthy Recipe, Diabetes Recipe
With the rain finally letting up, it looks like a great weekend to barbeque. And if you’ve been thinking about a little steak here’s a delicious alfresco meal of succulent grilled steak and refreshing spinach and bean salad that’s healthy and will satisfy your craving.
- 2 lb flank steak
- 4 Tbsp cracked peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz (about 6 cups) baby spinach or arugula
- Lightly tenderize steak with a mallet. Dust with cracked peppercorns. Press peppercorns into steak with the palm of hand.
- Lightly coat a grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to high.
- Grill steak for 10 to 15 minutes for medium rare, or until desired doneness, turning halfway through cooking time. Remove steak from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lime juice, honey, salt and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine bell pepper, black beans, black-eyed peas, onion and spinach. Toss with the dressing to combine.
- Transfer salad to a platter and top with sliced steak.
Yield: 10 servings