The quinoa and beef in this scrumptious gyro bowl will fuel you for hours, while the decadent tzatziki sauce will have you craving this recipe again and again.
- 1/2 cup peeled, quartered and thinly sliced cucumber
- 3/8 tsp ( 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp) sea salt, divided
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp lemon zest + 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 tsp freeze-dried dill (or chopped fresh dill)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed and reserved
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper strips
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped, toasted unsalted walnuts
- 8 Kalamata olives
- In a medium bowl, toss sliced cucumber with ¼ tsp salt; set aside for 20 minutes. Drain liquid from bowl, then stir in yogurt, garlic, 1/4 tsp lemon zest, lemon juice and dill. Cover and refrigerate.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, brush mushroom caps with oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp lemon zest and pinch salt on inside and outside of caps. In a skillet on medium-high, cook mushroom caps for 3 to 5 minutes per side; slice into quarters and set aside.
- In same skillet on medium-high, cook beef, Italian seasoning, rosemary, cumin, pepper and remaining pinch salt. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, breaking up beef with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- To serve, in a bowl, layer half of quinoa, spinach and beef mixture. Top with half of each of quartered mushrooms and toppings; top each with 1/4 cup tzatziki.
- Serving Size: 1 gyro bowl
- Calories: 569
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 80 mg
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 40 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 637 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Trans Fat Content: 6 g
- COOK TIME
- PREP TIME
Recipe Source: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/