- 6 bell peppers
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 ounce can refried beans
- 1½ cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1½ cups shredded Pepperjack cheese
- toppings! cilantro, avocado, sour cream, etc.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers and scrape out the ribs and seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, beans, enchilada sauce, spices, and 1 cup of the cheese. Fill each pepper with the quinoa mixture.
- Pour ½ cup water into the bottom of a crockpot. Place the peppers in the crockpot so they’re sitting in the water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Remove lid, distribute remaining cheese over the tops of the peppers, and cover again for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve topped with anything you like! These are also great with chips and guacamole, believe it or not.
My crockpot only fit four of the peppers so I had to bake the other two in the oven – I just put some water in the bottom of the pan, covered with foil, and baked for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
You can also keep the leftover filling for a day or two in the fridge.
I also made a variation of these with spicy ground sausage (I left out the refried beans and added a pound of uncooked sausage), and they were equally great! Bjork liked those ones better, being the meat guy in the family.
Nutrition information is for one stuffed pepper.