- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- salt and pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-0unce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
Add the chickpeas and cannellini and kidney beans, and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Combine the garlic, pine nuts, parsley, remaining 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
Divide the chili among individual bowls and top with the pesto. Serve with crusty white bread. if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe: Real Simple
Photo: Caitlin Saniga